Ephesians 5:1,2

Ephesians 5:1,2 - "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (NIV)
This blog is a testimonial journey of God guiding me these next five months as I learn to imitate Him.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Week 6: Finish the Task

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preadched in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

- Matthew 24:14 (NIV)

We got up at 4:45 in the morning, packed our stuff into the trailer, squished into two 12-passenger vans and left our base in Ozark, Arkansas. Our destination? Cincinnati, Ohio, 12 hours away. What was in Ohio? Finish the Task Conference, A conference put on by YWAM centered on fulfilling The Great Commission and how to go about doing that. With hundreds of students and staff from about ten different YWAM bases across the nation, it was a good time. The conference was held at White Oak Christian Church, with the different bases staying in different locations. Most YWAM bases were staying on gym or sanctuary floors in churches, while others were lucky enough to be able to stay in some apartments owned by other churches; we were among the lucky ones. We were spoiled with two rooms, each with four triple bunks and a living room for sleeping in, along with a shower.



Our daily schedule would be getting up at 6:30, leave the apartment at 7 to make it to breakfast at the church at 7:30. Our first meeting was at 8:30 which consisted of worship (amazing worship I should add), intercession of various kinds for different specific missions, and a teaching by Dan Baumann. Dan is an author and missionary, most famous for his time in Iran when he was imprisoned for 9 weeks, which was written about in his book, Imprisoned in Iran. This would go until 12:30 when we would have lunch, followed by either breakout sessions or a community outreach at 2:00. The breakout sessions were hour-long classes where we were taught about various things pertaining to missions, with two of these on Monday and two on Wednesday. The four that I went to were about Church Planting Movements, Universalism, Muslim Culture, and one was an open panel of missionaries that we were able to question and talk with. On Tuesday during this time we had a time to just spend with our base and process what we had been learning thus far, because by that time we had already felt piled on with information. And on Thursday, we had Community Outreach. For my specific outreach, I went with a group of people to a church and helped them with what they needed. My specific job included picking up pieces of logs so they could be cut, and using a chainsaw to slice up larger logs. This time went on until dinner at 5:30, followed by our evening meeting at 7:00. The evening meeting followed a similar itinerary as the morning meeting did, except with a different speaker, this being Danny Lehmann, a well-known Christian author. This evening meeting would go until 9:00-9:30, when we would return to the apartment and go to bed. It was a packed schedule, but it was full of good stuff, good fellowship, and good times.

It’s difficult to give a summary of what was taught to us this week since we had several speakers going over many different topics, but the best summary I could give would be sampling restating the title of the conference. Finish the Task. There are so many people out there who have never heard the gospel, either because their society prohibits it or because no missionaries have made the effort to bring it to them. Either way, we need to do something about it. This does not mean, however, that we are all to storm the airports and head for the isolated, the hidden, the dangerous, and the forsaken with no training, no knowledge of the area, and, perhaps worst of all, no calling. The message definitely struck a few heart chords as I felt for these people who had never had the privilege of knowing Jesus and having a relationship with Him. I felt particularly stronger towards people in the Himalayas after they showed us a video (shown here) of some of the unreached people living up there. I’ve started to feel strongly that the people in the Himalayas will be a part of my future, I’m not sure exactly how, but I know God will show me. Other various things I learned are shown below:

-  God is both task- and people-oriented

- The Great Commission is a command to be obeyed

- If you want to be fruitful, just stay connected to Jesus and the fruit will take care of itself. If you focus on being fruitful, however, you will not have much luck

- Our passion is not solely based on emotion, it is based on what Jesus did on the cross and who God is. Although our emotions may vary constantly, our passion should be continually growing

- We are to be like a thermostat, not a thermometer (change the people around you, don't be changed by them)

- When it comes to showing people Christ, it is better to win a friendship than win an argument

After the week spent in Cincinnati, we left Friday morning for Manchester, Kentucky, the City of Hope. It received this title back in 2004. Before then, the town and surrounding county had been controlled completely by drugs, particularly painkillers as it was called the “Painkiller county of America.” The police were corrupt, officials were as well, and there were dealers everywhere. One particular dealer was so successful that he would make an average of $5 million a year. The average cost it would be for people to live the drug lifestyle here in Manchester was $60,000+ a year, where the average income was $12,000, so along with the drugs came stealing and even killings. One person was dying a week because of drug-related problems. Finally, people began to react and want to put a stop to it. So all the pastors from the area met together and talked and prayed intensely about their town’s situation, so they organized a march. Thousands of church-goers gathered and marched for a mile and a half to the park to have a rally against the drug problem in their town. The impact was tremendous. After that, arrests increased by 300% and the amount of deaths related to drugs are virtually non-existent. That march was 8 years ago, and the town of Manchester knows that it is still not perfect and still has some giants to conquer, but they are a city of hope and will be able to take on those giants with God’s help. 



We visited this church and talked to some of the pastors that were in charge of the march and rally and the passion they had for their city was very apparent as they could not stop talking about the amazing things God had being doing in their city and how much grace was given to them. They told us about a Christian rehab center about 16 miles from the town that they had started a while back called Chad’s Hope (shown below). This rehab wasn’t for specifically men with drug problems or alcoholic problems or what have you, but basically men with problems in general, problems that needed the grace of God to be solved for good. The amazing thing about Chad’s Hope is that it received $2.5 million from the government to be established. As far as I know, it is the only totally Christian organization receiving any assistance from the government; a true work of God. We visited Chad’s Hope and talked to and prayed for the men currently taking part in the program. These men told us heartbreaking stories, but really focused their testimonies on God making them new men. Go God.



This week also gave an ample supply of confirmation towards God wanting me to be a pastor. One thought that had been circling through my head was how I have always thought of myself as a poor public speaker and poor at explaining things. While my friends disagreed with me on that point, they also pointed out that even if it were the case, that hadn’t stopped God from appointing others who felt the same way. It’s how God rolls. One significant experience I had this week happened during the last worship session of the conference. I had been having a frustrating time throughout the week trying to participate in worship. Throughout the whole DTS I had been able to worship without problem of feeling like I was actually worshipping God, but for some reason I hadn’t been feeling the fire inside of me strongly at all in the beginning of the week. On Thursday morning I had finally realized I was letting many distractions get to me and my mind was wondering a lot when I should have been keeping my gaze focused on God, and I felt awful about it. I apologized to God and asked for forgiveness repeatedly during the worship. That evening, during the worship, I felt the fire come back and I couldn’t help but kneel while worshipping. As I was kneeling, a random girl came up to me and started praying for me, that I would be a powerful light for God and repeated the phrase, “Forgiven, Mighty Warrior.” I knew she was talking about God forgiving me for my lack of focus. She also told me how God had been telling her to pray for me, and she said that if I start kneeling, then she’d start praying for me. Sure enough, I started kneeling. After she had finished praying, one of the students from my DTS prayed for me as well. She, too, prayed that I be a powerful light and that I would be mighty. What’s more is that when I finally got back to the base in Ozark, I had some mail from my mother, one piece of which was from her bible study. This particular bible study was from the night before I had heard the call from God, and the first thing it mentioned was how God is raising “mighty warriors.” The redundancy of these words is not a coincidence; I am fully aware and I love how God is making all of this known to me. 

There are many other instances that point towards me being a pastor in the future, and it’s getting to the point now where I cannot deny God’s participation in showing me what He has planned for me. No matter how scared I may be and no matter how much I may not want it to happen I cannot ignore how many signs God has given me, and I cannot help but get excited that He is showing me my place in His kingdom and the mission He has given me to bring Him glory wherever I go. I’m excited as I’m noticing these signs more and more and I can’t wait for the next one to be brought to me. This life is an exciting life, and I’m blessed by the grace of God to be able to live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment